Monday, October 19, 2009

Diet Train... UGGG

I headed up the cool wooden stairs to our attic, in search of something that fit. Where are those size-bigger jeans? I do have size-bigger jeans, right? I rummaged and rummaged and found... the box of maternity clothes.

I paused. I currently only have 2 pairs of pants that fit, both of which were dirty. And there I was, standing in a chilly attic in only underwear, desperately searching for something, anything to wear.

After a moment's hesitation, I opened the lid and dug around a little bit. I found my favorite, most comfy-yet-also-somewhat-dressy maternity pants. I slipped them on. They fit! (Um, this is a victory?)

I wore them downstairs. Brushed my teeth. Put on a little lip gloss and rouge. Glanced in the full length mirror. It was true that no one would notice that they were maternity pants! And they fit! And were so comfortable!

In the end I couldn't bring myself to wear them. Instead I pulled a wrinkled and dirty pair out of the hamper and put them on. There was no noticeable odor.

The next morning, naked, I stood on the scale. I was dismayed to see that I currently weigh more than I did when I was full-term pregnant with TWINS.

Well, I knew I had been gaining weight. But... REALLY? That much??? On my other blog I recently wrote about wanting to go off zoloft because I suspected that was part of the problem. In 3 or 4 weeks that have followed since I wrote that post I have gained 10 more pounds and have just recently (2 days ago) started weaning myself off zoloft.

(It was a busy couple of weeks in which I just was not ready to start the weaning when also hosting a steady stream of house guests. After all, I want it to be a successful weaning process, so I didn't want outside factors causing me more stress than necessary.)

So, today, I proclaim that I am on a diet. Not any particular diet, but rather a health-kick for the purpose of loosing weight, feeling better, and having more energy.

Goals for Week 1:
1. I am going to write down- on this blog- everything I eat. I like how Linda has been doing that, and I hope it will help hold me accountable.

2. I am going to get exercise as many days this week as possible, with a minimum of 5 days. Each exercise session will be no shorter than 20 minutes.

3. I am going to try to connect the dots between what I eat and how I feel. I KNOW, intellectually, that these two are related, but I think I have a fair amount of disconnect between how what I eat makes me feel.

4. I will loose 1 pound this week, thus getting a bit closer to being able to wear my clothes again. (See also: thank god for yoga pants!)

5. I will make an appointment this week for a check-up to make sure nothing else is behind the weight gain.

I'll be back later to enter what I ate today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! One step at a time, and you will absolutely get there!

Tess said...

Dude, I am catching up on my Constances and here we have a HEALTH KICK!!!! WHEE!!!

Can't wait to read about it. Can't wait can't wait can't WAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIT.